Friday, April 17, 2009

Another day of images, and another oddity

Well, I could not pass the chance to get out on a beautiful day like today. I traveled a bit of the highways and byways before I stopped at Mill Mountain to see what was blooming. The Bloodroot was gone, and the Vinca minor were thinning, but the Vinca major and others were popping into view. Here are some of the images I shot, including something I have never seen before. It is a four petal Vinca minor, in white, no less. Enjoy.


Forget-Me-Nots (Myosotis scorpiodes). I love this shade of blue. Found in moist soil and streamside.



This is a Primrose (Pimula vulgaris). The name is derived from Latin, prima rosa, meaning "first rose" for its early blooming period in Europe.



Here is my friend, the Periwinkle (Vinca minor), but this time in lavender. Finding this one allowed me to photograph the Periwinkle in all three colors... Blue, White, and Lavender.



This is Ragwort. I believe it is Balsam Ragwort (Packera paupercula), but it could also be Golden Ragwort (Packera aurea). The main way to tell is the leaves, but this wildflower has leaves that look a little like both species.




Large Flowered Trillium (Trillium grandiflorum). Very distinctive flower with its three petals



A Vinca minor? This odd Vinca minor has only four petals, instead of the standard five petals of the species. I have no idea how rare this is, but I have found no other mention of this configuration in any references.



This is a Wood Poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum). This is a very impressive bloom, but in spite of its hardy appearance, it is a fragile bloom.



Here is the same Wood Poppy as above, but photographed with a difference lens to give a different look to the wildflower.



This is Spring Beauty (Claytonia virginica). These are small, yet stunning wildflowers also prefer moist surroundings.



Another Wood Poppy, but since it was facing the ground, I was forced to shoot it from below. That was tough, becaise the bloom was only about 12 inches off the ground. That is the blue sky in the background.



Let me introduce you to Garlic Mustard. This wildflower is not anywhere near as abundant as Wild Mustard. The blooms are very small, and not very prominent.

No comments:

Post a Comment