Sunday, April 12, 2009

10/13/08 - Blue Ridge Orchid Society Show

I had the distinct pleasure of attending an event that I have never attended before. I noticed the the newspaper that the Blue Ridge Orchid Society was holding a show on October 10th and 11th at the Roanoke Council of Garden Clubs facility on Colonial Avenue in SW Roanoke County. Since I have been spending a bit of time photographing wildflowers lately, I figured I would check this event for some unusual flowers. Well, I was not disappointed. These orchids have some of the oddest coloration and shapes that I have ever seen in a flower. They were beautiful, and intensely interesting. I am told that orchids can be very difficult to grow, but you could not tell that from the variety of flowers displayed at this event. I wish to thank Denise Gresham of the Blue Ridge Orchid Society for spending her time to help me identify these Orchids. The Blue Ridge Orchid Society is a really nice group of people, and if you are interested in their group, their next meeting is
November 9, 2008 at the
Roanoke Council of Garden Clubs.


This orchid is called Vanda Robert's Delight


This variety is called Odcdm Crowborough 'Spice Island'


This orchid has marking that looks to me like Eddie, the dog from the Frasier TV show, wearing sunglasses. This variety is know as Odm Midnight Miracle


I really like the colors of this orchid, known as Dtps. Lonnie Morris


This Orchid has a long name. It is Ascda. Gou Che Long x V. Black Magic


This Orchid is truly graceful. It is called Lc. Wolterae


This variety is known as Den. Emma White


This Orchid is called V. Josephine Van Brero x V. Southeast Beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment