Sunday, April 12, 2009

3/18/09 - A Beautiful Day for Photography

The sun was shining, the temperature was in the mid '70's, and I wanted to get out and run around a bit. I started off by driving to South Roanoke and parking, the jumping aboard the "Star Line" for a ride downtown to have lunch with a couple of friends. It was my first time on the Star Line, and it was a pleasurable experience for the most part. However, whoever thought of making the benches from wood, and then finishing them with a shiny, smooth coat of finish should sit on the bus when it makes an unexpected stop. I think they should reconsider the covering for the benches. After I rode the bus back to South Roanoke, I jumped in the car and decided to shoot some more wildflowers. Again, a very relaxing and calming experience for me. I just love to photograph these flowers. I always have, and probably always will.

I hope you like them.


Ahh. The trees are in bloom. This cluster of blooms was on a tree in South Roanoke.



The Hellebore are still blooming, but this combination of blooms caught my attention. I looked around and I saw no others that appeared to be looking at each other, yet this close.


This is my first chance to photograph this beautiful, elusive wildflower. This is Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis). It is an early spring bloomer, and really stunning to look at.


This wildflower is the Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris).


This is another Bloodroot wildflower, but further along in growth from the other flower in the image above. Please do not pick these wildflowers. They are hard enough to find already.


This is Periwinkle (Vinca minor), and this little bloom was standing alone next to a log.I could not resist the contrast to the log in the background. This fragile bloom is about 3/4 of an inch across its face.

1 comment:

  1. Mike, did you know that the Periwinkle is used for a chemotherapy drug Vincristine?

    ReplyDelete