Sunday, April 12, 2009

6/2/08 - Back to the Blue Ridge Wildflowers

I'm sorry. I really am enjoying getting out and photographing the wildflowers in the surrounding area. I made a trip a bit south on the Blue Ridge Parkway to try to catch the bloom of the Grey's Lily. Over 20 years ago, a Parkway Ranger told me that he had seen a Grey's Lily blooming just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Grey's Liliy is a very rare lily, and is almost exclusively found in the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina, on higher altitude balds and rocky soil. Finding one this far north, in Virginia, would be an awesome thing. I guess I'll keep looking. While I was driving around on the Parkway, using my four dollar a gallon gas, I decided to hunt for a few more wildflowers. Being late spring, early summer, the abundance of wildflowers has dropped, but they still can be found, and photographed. Here is a bit of what I found on June 17, 18, and 19, 2008.



This is a Deptford Pink (Dianthus armeria). Not a native Virginia wildflower, it is actually native to England. I saw it all alone on the side of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I looked a quarter mile around this flower, and found no others.



This is, again, the OxEye Daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare). These are still quite numerous along the Parkway.




The above images are on the Canadian Dwarf Cinquefoil. These are some of my favorite flowers to photograph.


If anyone knows what this flower is, please let me know.


The above orange cluster of flowers is known as Butterfly Weed



This beautiful flower is the Day Lily. Now, if I can find its cousin, Grey's Lily.


This is Dame's Rocket (Hesperis matronalis).


This wildflower is the Wild Bergamot, early in it bloom. It is also known as Bee Balm. Thanks to Cheryl Kessler in identifying this for me.

This wildflower is called a Thread-Leaved Coreopsis, (Coreopsis verticillata).


The above wildflowers are Mayweed. My first images of this particular wildflower.


A butterfly enjoys the offerings of the Wild Bergamot.


Again, our friend, the OxEye Daisy.


The above wildflowers are in the wildflower areas along Interstate 581. Not strictly defined as a wildflower, these are a hybrid Day Lily, called "Stella d'Oro". It is a variety of the wild Day Lily seen above.

These are called "Rose of Sharon", and are Hibuscus Syriacus. They can be a pervasive, nuisance species if they get out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment