Thursday, October 15, 2009

More Catching Up on Images

Here we go. It is a cold, rainy, fall evening, and I have worked up some more images that I had shot a while back. These images were shot on September 5, 2009, and were taken along Colonial Avenue in SW Roanoke County, at the Roanoke Valley Garden Club grounds, and around my house, where wildflowers have seemed to bloom in abundance this year. Some I planted, but most I did not plant, and have just grown wild, knowing that I would photograph them. Smart little buggers, those wildflowers. Most of these images were taken with a bit of a wind blowing. Thank goodness for fast shutter speeds. Also, I manually focus and manually set the exposures on all of my images. There is never any autofocus and auto exposure going on when I shoot wildflowers.


This wildflower is a Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta), and is a member of the Aster family.



This wildflower is a Oxeye Daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare), and is also a member of the Aster family.



A few more Oxeye Daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare).



This wildflower is known as Chicory (Cichorium intybus), and is very easy to find in this area towards the fall. It is a member of the Aster family, and I really liked the soft pastel blue color of this bloom.


This wildflower is also Chicory (Cichorium intybus), but this bloom is colored more like the majority of these blooms. These are really beautiful flowers.



This wildflower is Sweet Goldenrod (Solidago odora). If you look closely at the honeybee, it is holding on to the flower for dear life. The wind was blowing hard, and stopping the action was a real test of my ability.



This wildflower is called Hairy Beardtongue (Penstemon hirsutus). Very different looking, and a member of the Figwort family.



This wildflower is known as Woodland Phlox, Wild Blue Phlox, or Wild Sweet William
(Phlox divaricata). A big thanks to Nick Leitch and his wife for helping me identify this wildflower.







The four wildflowers above are color variants of the Lance-leaved Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata). It is also known as Tickseed, but I don't think that name does this beautiful wildflower justice.



This wildflower is called Bushy Aster (Aster dumosus). It is distinguished by long, slender, lance-like leaves.



I do not know what this wildflower is. Any help would be appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Mike: My wife is not the picture of confidence, but she thinks that the first unknown flower (the one after Penstemon)is Woodland Phlox. Not sure about the last one...

    Beautiful photos! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Nick Leitch

    ReplyDelete