Friday, October 16, 2009

Images from the Roanoke River Greenway - 9/15/09

I decided to take a bit of a walk carrying my fast camera bag (relatively lightweight - ~25 lbs.) I figured the Roanoke River Greenway between Rivers Edge Park and Wasena Park would be a nice walk, and I would see what wildflowers were growing along the way. Well, there were not a large number of flowers, but there were enough to attract my attention along the way. I think it would be an inexpensive project for the city to scatter some wildflower seeds along some of the overgrown areas along the greenway to add some color and interest to the Greenway project. Not everyone wants to zombie walk the greenway with their iPods stuffed in their ears, and their minds "who knows where".
I hope you like the images.


This wildflower is a Woodland Sunflower (Helianthus strumosis), and is a member of the Aster family.



This is an Everlasting Pea (Lathyrus latifolius), and is a member of the bean family.



This wildflower appears to be some type of Hawkweed (Hieracium), but I am not sure of the species.



This wildflower is a Bouncing Bet, or Soapwort. (Saponaria officinalis), and is a member of the Carnation family.



A pair of Bouncing Bet (Saponaria officinalis).



This wildflower is Common Wood Sorrel, or Sour Grass. (Oxalis stricta). This Sorrel found a nice, shady, damp spot near one of the low water bridges.



This wildflower is New York Ironweed. (Vernonia noveboracensis), and is a member of the Aster family. What is different about this image is that these flowers were about 20 feet away, and I used a supertelephoto macro system to be able to shoot this close up image from that distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment