Thursday, January 13, 2011

Images from Week 1 of May 2010

These images are from the first week in May 2010. The weather is starting to get warmer during the day, but more important, it is staying warmer at night. I particularly like the month of May for wildflowers. Just like when the leaves change in the fall, you can move higher in elevation to move back a few weeks to catch wildflowers coming to bloom after they have faded in the valley.


The Flame Azalea (Rhododendron calendulaceum), the Franklin County version.



 The Flame Azalea (Rhododendron calendulaceum), again located at a wildflower wonderland in Franklin County.



 The Common Cinquefoil (Potentilla simplex). This one is again located at that wildflower wonderland in Franklin County.



The Fire Pink (Silene virginica). I really like this wildflower. This one is in the Franklin County Wildflower Garden.



 Red Azalea (Rhododendron x Gable "Stewartsonian"). The butterflies love this stuff.



Periwinkle (Vinca minor). This is the variegated variety.



 This is Deptford Pink. (Dianthus armeria). I was constantly looking for this wildflower until it started growing in my yard.



 Yellow Wood Sorrel (Oxalis stricta), again located in my yard.



 More Deptford Pink. (Dianthus armeria). This is a very small wildflower, on a very tall stem.



Yellow Azelia. (Rhododendrum luteum).

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, the pictures of the Flame Azaleas are gorgeous. These are making me impatient for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Jessica. I really like Flame Avelia as well, but it is hard to capture their color in images. I've come close, but I hope to get more chances this spring.

    ReplyDelete