Monday, March 12, 2012

Late Winter 2012

It is late Winter 2012 and the start of the wildflower season. Usually the Purple Crocus in my lawn gives me a "heads up" of the start of a new blooming season. Not long after the Purple Crocus makes the bold announcement, the Kaufmann's Tulips start to bloom. They did not bloom last year, at least not that I saw, but they are making their presence known this year. I have more blooms than I have ever had from this mystery visitor to my gardens. I usually have some Bloodroot blooming in the wildflower garden by this time of year, but my guess is that they were killed by the stomping boots of the Tree Cutting Service that was cutting down the neighbors trees. They marched through my wildflower garden without even asking, and then wondered why I was upset over a bunch of weeds. I am guessing I will have to start over again. Here are some images from my yard and the Mill Mountain Wildflower Garden.


 Periwinkle (Vinca minor)


Periwinkle (Vinca minor)


 Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis)


Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis)


 Primrose (Pimula vulgaris).


 Lentin (Helleborus orientalis)


Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris).


Common Snowdrop (Galanthus nivalis).


Kaufmann's Tulip (Tulipa kaufmanniana) - Size Small


Kaufmann's Tulip (Tulipa kaufmanniana) - Size Medium


Kaufmann's Tulip (Tulipa kaufmanniana) - Size Large



No comments:

Post a Comment