Wednesday, March 31, 2010

On Mill Mountain with the Garden Club

I was out in the morning getting some shots while the weather was pretty decent for images. Lightly overcast skies gave a nice, even light for imaging, but not taking too much of the suns intense light. At the Mill Mountain Wildflower Garden, I was mainly seeking out Bloodroot, which was in abundance. I also found a couple of wildflowers that I was not expecting to see. One I had never seen before and I consider myself lucky that I even saw it at all. It was then I met the Mill Mountain Garden Club, and very nice group of young women that take care of the Wildflower Garden. I must voice a hearty "Thank You" for their hard work and determination in providing this beautiful destination for us. Again, if you have not been to the Mill Mountain Wildflower Garden, it is located between the Discovery Center and the Mill Mountain Zoo. I then dropped by the Virginia Western Arboretum where more Bloodroot was in bloom along with Lentin Rose. I hope you like the images.


This is Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis). It is an early spring wildflower, and one of my favorites. I have seen more Bloodroot this year than in years past. This image shows it in various stages of bloom.



Another image of Bloodroot, also at the Mill Mountain Wildflower Garden.



This is Rue Anemone (Thalictrum thalictroides). It blooms close to the ground and has small blooms about one inch wide.



This is a Trout Lily (Erythronium americanum). Also called a Dogtooth Violet, this one bloomed very close to the ground and almost did not even see it amongst the bed of leaves. Notice the mottled leaves.



This is the Mill Mountain Garden Club, at least the members that were at the Wildflower Garden when I was doin ' some shootin'. Thanks ladies for the work you do. It is appreciated.



This group of Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) was blooming at the Virginia Western Arboretum on Colonial Avenue. You should stop by and check it out when you get a chance. A very beautiful, peaceful place.



This is Lentin (Helleborus orientalis). This is a red bloom of the species. Located at the Virginia Western Arboretum.



This is also Lentin (Helleborus orientalis). This is a green bloom of the species. Located at the Virginia Western Arboretum.

1 comment:

  1. Michael, is there any chance you might be willing to get together at some point to give me some pointers on photographing flowers? (I'd be willing to pay for your time...) I have some basic equipment: Canon Rebel T1i, a kit lens (18 - 55 mm), a cheap prime lens (50 mm), some extension tubes (12, 20 & 36 mm), and a snap-on "macro lens" (Raynox RADCR250 DCR-250 2.5x Super Macro Lens)

    Best regards,
    Doug Moyer
    shyzaboy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete